[oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI preview label

Joe Ross joeross at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 27 10:32:14 EDT 2012

Yes, just making sure. Thanks.

Joe Ross/Austin/IBM, joeross at us.ibm.com
Tivoli Autonomic Computing & Component Technologies
512-286-8311, T/L 363-8311

From:   Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM
To:     Joe Ross/Austin/IBM at IBMUS,
Cc:     John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS, oslc-core at open-services.net
Date:   07/27/2012 09:20 AM
Subject:        Re: [oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI
preview label

Joe,

Nothing is changing with value types in Core and XMLLiteral is still there
with this issue #25

This issue (25) is narrowly focused on 2 XML elements (dcterms:title and
dcterms:description) within the UIPreview spec's definition of
oslc:Compact, the fact that they are string value types.  This does NOT
change the Core's recommendation for RDF properties dcterms:title and
dcterms:description and their value type.

Does that clear it up?

Joe Ross/Austin/IBM wrote on 07/27/2012 09:50:43 AM:

> From: Joe Ross/Austin/IBM
> To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS,
> Cc: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS, oslc-core at open-services.net
> Date: 07/27/2012 09:55 AM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI preview
label

> I think we are saying that we are not changing the OSLC-core defined
data
> type for the dcterms:identifier property. It would still have a value
type
> of XMLLiteral when used in RDF which is based on OSLC core. Is that
right?

> Joe

> Joe Ross/Austin/IBM, joeross at us.ibm.com
> Tivoli Autonomic Computing & Component Technologies
> 512-286-8311, T/L 363-8311
>
> From: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM
> To: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS,
> Cc: Joe Ross/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, oslc-core at open-services.net, oslc-core-
> bounces at open-services.net
> Date: 07/27/2012 07:25 AM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI preview
label

> > Something I need to be clear on: is it the case that this issue
applies only
> > to UI preview because UI preview is the only case in OSLC where a
resource
> > is defined to be XML and not RDF?
> > Since XMLLiteral is defined by RDF, an XML-based resource definition
does
> > not "have access to" its definition (it's outside of XML, and going
outside
> > of XML for its definition is not desireable)?

> This issue is really about that the content of these XML elements really

> should just be strings and not embedded XML content, regarding of how
the
> value type is defined (i.e. XMLLiteral definition in RDF/XML or complex
> content in XML).  It just happens we were down a path "make our XML
> consumable by RDF/XML parsers as well" which added to some confusion.
The