[oslc-core] missing oslc query functionality

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 24 08:21:13 EDT 2012

> I think the bar for extending the query language required by OSLC
> Core should be very high.

Query Syntax is already optional.

Even if a domain spec requires it, all the query parameters it defines are
optional so the domain spec would have to be explicit about which QPs it
requires in order to have any effective meaning.  Just saying "Query
syntax is required" is semantically empty:

> An OSLC domain specification MAY use some or all of these query
parameters, and SHOULD use these rather than defining new query parameters
that have the same or very similar meanings. [1]

So what's the harm in defining new composable syntax extensions,
especially if they cover new ground functionally?  We should foist a tower
of Babylon on the clients instead?

As long as there are sufficient scenarios to make it a broad-based
concern, and it is composable like the others are today, I'm failing to
see why we would discourage it.  "Broad-based concern" is a fairly high
bar already.

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecQuery