[oslc-core] missing oslc query functionality

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 10:16:05 EDT 2012

Joe,

Just so I understand, for #1 you only want to return resources in which the
specified property value never appears?

Suppose we have the following member resources:

:pizza-1 :topping :pepperoni , :olives, :mushrooms .
:pizza-2 :topping :cheese, :olives, :onion .
:pizza-3 :topping :bacon, :cheese, :mushrooms.

Then the query oslc.where=:topping!=:bacon would return :pizza-1, :pizza-2.

 Arthur Ryman

 DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &

 Portfolio Strategy and Management

 IBM Software, Rational

 Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) |
 +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Joe Ross/Austin/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com>                                                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |07/13/2012 10:30 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [oslc-core] missing oslc query functionality                                                                                                  |

Thanks, Arthur. So, it sounds like these were intentional simplifications,
and we could implement our own extensions or SPARQL if we want.

> 1. Correct. What semantics do you want for multi-value properties? Are
you
> looking for the existence of one value that does not equal the given
> value?
In this particular case we are looking for resources that don't have a
particular value for a multi-valued property. If we were simply looking for
the existence of a value that doesn't equal the give value, I think !=
would handle that.

> 2. Correct. However, you could approximate this effect by comparing the
> property to a value that you are sure does not exist. e.g. if ex:estimate

> is always non-negative, then ex:estimate > -1 would return resource that
> had any value for ex:estimate.

That is actually how we are doing it now . Using != with a value we know
won't ever exist.

Joe

Joe Ross/Austin/IBM, joeross at us.ibm.com
Tivoli Autonomic Computing & Component Technologies
512-286-8311, T/L 363-8311