[oslc-core] Guidance on oslc:domain usage Fw: [Oslc-Automation] Implementation issues when Automation type is not known

Michael F Fiedler fiedler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 10 18:19:50 EDT 2012

The automation workgroup has run into set of scenarios where a consumer
might want/need to to know more about the "type" or "subdomain" of
automation a particular Automation provider or Automation Plan specialized
in.   Example, a Test Management consumer product might need to know if an
Automation provider was a "build" provider or a "deployment" provider as it
might expose the picker/creation dialogs for these different types of
automation in different areas of its UI.

At the same time, there are very generic automation providers who provide
many types of automation, even within a single Automation Plan.   The
discussion within the workgroup has been around how to address these
scenarios.  One proposal (see below) is to define additional domain URIs
for Automation.  Rather than just the usual

oslc:domain <http://open-services.net/ns/auto>

an automation provider could optionally use a hash-qualified domain such as

oslc:domain <http://open-services.net/ns/auto#Build>

to hint to consumers that it is build automation provider.  This is
somewhat of a departure from the currently approved specs, but still seems
in the spirit of the description of oslc:domain:

> Namespace URI of the specification that is implemented by this service.
> In most cases this namespace URI will be for an OSLC domain, but other
URIs
> MAY be used

Any comments from folks in the Core area?  Interesting enough to discuss in
the next meeting?

Regards,
Mike

Michael Fiedler
IBM Rational Software
fiedler at us.ibm.com
919-254-4170
----- Forwarded by Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM on 07/10/2012 06:06 PM
-----

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net

rdf:resource="http://open-services.net/ns/auto#Deploy" />

>     <oslc:serviceProvider>
>           <oslc:ServiceProvider>
>                  <service>
>                      <Service>
>                          <oslc:domain
> rdf:resource="http://open-services.net/ns/auto#Test" />
>                          <creationFactory rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <queryCapability rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <selectionDialog rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <creationDialog rdf:resource="..."/>
>                      </Service>
>                  </service>
>                  <service>
>                      <Service>
>                          <oslc:domain
> rdf:resource="http://open-services.net/ns/auto#Deploy" />
>                          <creationFactory rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <queryCapability rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <selectionDialog rdf:resource="..."/>
>                          <creationDialog rdf:resource="..."/>
>                      </Service>
>                  </service>
>           </oslc:ServiceProvider>
>     <oslc:serviceProvider>
>
> </ServiceProviderCatalog>
>

> If there is support behind this idea then we should really get feedback
> from OSLC Core as well since this could be seen as an unconventional use
of
> the domain property.   The core spec [1] defines it as:
>
> > Namespace URI of the specification that is implemented by this service.
> In most cases this namespace URI will be for an OSLC domain, but other
URIs
> MAY be used
>

> [1]
> http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/
> OslcCoreSpecification#Service_Provider_Resources
>
> Best wishes,
> Paul McMahan
> IBM Rational
>
> oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 07/03/2012 11:18:25
AM:

> [...]
> > you have defined two different Automation Providers for different
> purposes
> > in your own product and now you are having a problem in presenting
> > this to end users.
> >
> > But most of the Automation Providers are not defining themselves as
> > an Automation Provider multiple times in a single runtime
> > instance... Are you suggesting that we should define AutomationType
> > as an enumeration for AutomationPlan (since it would need to be an
> > enumeration with predefined well-known values it would have to be
> > required). I have many concerns about this since we would
> > essentially be forcing every other product to make changes and
> > require end users to "type" their AutomationPlans in order to
> > simplify your usage scenario... And would would be defining the
> > AutomationTypes??? Most product could support numerous
> > AutomationPlans that might be in support of different (or multiple)
> > types of activities.
> >
> > This appears to be a unique RQM issue and not something that needs
> > to be added to the specification.
> >
> > Regards,
> > David
> > David Brauneis
> > STSM, Rational Software Delivery Automation Chief Architect
> > email: brauneis at us.ibm.com | phone: 720-395-5659 | mobile: 919-656-0874
> >

> > From:        Jing Qian/New Haven/IBM at IBMUS
> > To:        oslc-automation at open-services.net,
> > Date:        07/02/2012 05:17 PM
> > Subject:        [Oslc-Automation] Implementation issues when
> > Automation type is not        known
> > Sent by:        oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > In a previous discussion, Pramod has proposed to a
> > oslc_auto:automationType attribute, but there is some objection to it,
> >
> > [image removed] see the thread here - http://open-services.net/
> > pipermail/oslc-automation_open-services.net/2012-June/000182.html
> > see the thread here - http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-
> > automation_open-services.net/2012-June/000182.html
> > Automation plan: We don't have oslc_auto:automationType attribute.
> Without
> > this we can't distinguish whether Automation is for build, test,
> > deployment, cloud etc.. I think this needs to be typed.
> >
> > <dnb>I actually do not agree with an approach that types the
> > automation, there are some
> > automation plans that might perform one or more of those different
types
> > as a part of the workflow (think a continuous integration or continuous
> > delivery product - i.e., DevOps)... How would you characterize those?
> > Also, some automation providers will exist that can support more than
one

> > type of automation and do not need them to be separated. What do we
gain
> > by forcing this?
> > </dnb>
> >
> > <pchandor>I think when a AutomationPlan represents a group of
Automations