[oslc-core] Core Specification Version 2.0 Query Syntax: Prefixed Names

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jul 10 07:57:50 EDT 2012

Steven,

All of your examples ( ":", "dcterms:" or ":comment") have clear semantics
and are frequently used in SPARQL and Turtle.

":" means the URI associated with the prefix ":"
"dcterms:" means just the URI associated with the prefix "dcterms:"

Neither of the above is likely to appear in a query string.

":comment" is the concatenation of the URI associate with the prefix ":"
and the local part "comment". This could be a valid predicate that might
appear in a query string.

In practice, no OSLC spec uses ":" as a prefix.

Are you suggesting we restrict the grammar to only allow "reasonable"
prefixed names? In that case, I believe the practice is to use prefixed
names of the form:

 PrefixedName := PN_PREFIX ':' PN_LOCAL

Arthur Ryman

DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
Portfolio Strategy and Management
IBM Software, Rational

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)