[oslc-core] Ambiguity in Resource Shape definition + consequent questions

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jan 18 11:42:33 EST 2012

John,

I think both mine and yours could be simplified to just this:

This shape describes resources that are of any of these types. Formally, a
shape S applies to a resource R if there is a triple R rdf:type T and there
is a triple S oslc:describes T.

 Arthur Ryman

 DE, PPM & Reporting Chief Architect

 IBM Software, Rational

 Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) |
 +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com>                                                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |01/17/2012 09:40 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [oslc-core] Ambiguity in Resource Shape definition + consequent	questions                                                                 |

> I [Arthur] suggest this description:
>
> This shape describes resources that are of any of these types. That is,
> the shape applies to resources that are in the union of the types. Note
> that if a resource has multiple rdf:type properties then the resource is
> in the intersection of those types. Therefore a shape S applies to a
> resource R if R has a type T and there is a triple S oslc:describes T.

Pretty good.  I'm going to counter with some tweaks that I hope reduce
ambiguity in the natural language portion; the final sentence's more formal
version is great, and I'll tweak that to make it a bit more formal.  The
union/intersection change is one to pay special attention to I suspect - "
resources that are in the union of the types" throws me for a loop.

> This shape describes resources that are of any of these types. That is,
> the shape applies to resources whose type(s) intersect with the shape's
described type(s).
> Formally, a shape S applies to a
> resource R if there is a triple R rdf:type T and there is a triple S
oslc:describes T.

Since we agreed during the WG call that it is intentional and valid to have
zero oslc:describes triples in a shape (so the shape describes only
resources that explicitly link to it via a oslc:instanceShape  triple),
here is a new (full replacement) proposal for the consequent editorial
changes to [1]:

Q2: (editorial change)
A Resource Shape describes the properties that are allowed or required
by...
from: one         type               of resource .
to:   one or more types or instances of resources.
I'm not entirely happy with that (seems a bit awkward still),
but I think it's accurate now so I claim 80-20 reached
and give license to the editor(s) to improve it.

Q3: answered - 0 intentional, no change

Q4: Another disagreement between the words and oslc:describes cardinality
providing a machine-readable definition...
from: of an          OSLC resource type              .
to:   of one or more OSLC resource types or instances.
FWIW: I kept "resource type" there, but "resource definition" might be
more in keeping with the rest of the specs' content... did not do a wide
search.

Q5: (editorial nit)
OSLC Creation Factory MAY provide ...
from: a Resource Shape  ... create a resource
to:     Resource Shapes ... create   resources
...and a similar change for Query Capability in the next sentence.

Q6: (editorial nit)
from: A Resource Shape resource can have a title and a        type .
to:   A Resource Shape resource can have a title and a set of types.

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixA?sortcol=table;table=up;up=#oslc_ResourceShape_Resource