[oslc-core] Need for a new specification phase/status: "deprecated"

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 10 15:59:48 EDT 2012

I'd like to introduce an addition to the Workgroup Best Practices document
[1] that provides an additional specification phase/status of
"deprecated".  The intent is to not leave certain specifications hanging
in some convergence or finalizing status forever.  We need to indicate
that the piece of work is not being further developed and implementation
expectations are set appropriately.

Proposal:
"Deprecated: If there is a consensus within the workgroup that a
non-finalized Specification should no longer be developed and
implementations are not encouraged.  It is recommended that the workgroup
clearly mark this specification as such and indicate a possible way
forward, if one exists.  This can happen if the specification has not been
kept current with OSLC Core specification guidelines, then such a
Specification can left this state and not be further developed. Moving to
this state can happen from any phase in the Specification lifecycle"

I'd like to have feedback +/- on this proposal by April 18th (and discuss
if needed at the Core WG meeting).

[1] -
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcWorkgroupPrinciplesandBestPractices