[oslc-core] awkward statement in Core on pre-filling creation dialogs

Samuel Padgett spadgett at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 7 12:08:11 EDT 2011

> I think this may have been a case of RFC-2119 upcasing.  I think the
> intent of that original statement is informative in saying that servers
> may (or may not) persist something on the server.  Just because you
> receive a POST request, it is possible to respond with a new URL in the
> Location header with a 201 response.  I might recommend that the upcasing

> and choice of words be reconsidered.  Such as "Service providers MAY
> maintain the created form in a persistent storage." but does that really
> make it any better.  Other suggestions welcome

It looks like "MAY NOT" is not a keyword in RFC-2119 [1]. I propose we
change

"Service providers MAY NOT maintain the created form in a persistent
storage. Clients SHOULD expect that after some elapsed time, a GET on these
transient response URIs MAY result with response status codes of 404 (Not
found) or a 3xx (Redirect)."

to simply

"After some elapsed time, service providers MAY respond with a 404 (Not
Found) or 3xx (Redirect) to an HTTP GET request for these URIs."

- Sam

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt