[oslc-core] Questions/remarks about the delegated UI for resourceselection

Thunissen Marc marc.thunissen at oce.com
Mon Oct 17 02:26:04 EDT 2011

Hello Steve,

Thanks again for your response.

So a different resource shapes may be provided for the creation factory, query, delegate UI... !
I cannot tell that I like this but this is a solution.

1. I already have a need for the two UI behavior (single and multiple selection):

Multiple selections:
I create a new test case and I want to link it to the related requirements.
In this case, a multiple requirements selection would be welcome.

Single selection:
I am starting a workflow for which I need a template for some kind of documents.
Such templates are under my asset manager control.
My workflow is not able to run with several templates at once.
In this case, only a single asset selection must be allowed.

2. I don't like this because it means that the server must anticipate all client needs and deliver a dedicated UI for each.
Moreover the client program must know the UI URL because the service provider services cannot make clear (for a program) which UI to use.
The dcterms:title or oslc:label are designed to be readable by humans, not programs.
Only the oslc:usage could be a hint but only the http://open-services/ns/core#default value is defined.

3. dcterms:title is an XMLLiteral.
This is surprising for a form label.
But if there is a specific shape for each UI, we can say that the dcterms:title in this shape must be designed to be a form label.
Nevertheless I don't well understand why there is a shape for the UI, at the same level as the UI url.
The client application need the UI url and, I think, don't need the shape.
The UI implementation don't care about its own URL but could need to use the shape (for a dynamic implementation).

4. Ok.
With different shapes this becomes pretty clear.

Many thanks,

Marc