[oslc-core] Behavior of oslc.where clauses in case of "multi-valued" properties

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Sun Oct 16 11:10:12 EDT 2011

Denilson,

All your example queries would return the resource since in all cases
there is a match to the oslc.where clause.

The semantics of the OSLC Query is defined in terms of pattern matching,
which is how SPARQL works too. An OSLC query can be translated into
SPARQL.

I wrote a couple of documents that described the semantics of the query
syntax [1] [2] for the benefit of testers and implementers.

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcSimpleQuerySemanticsV1
[2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcSimpleQuerySparqlV1

Arthur Ryman

DE, PPM & Reporting Chief Architect
IBM Software, Rational
Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)

[oslc-core] Behavior of oslc.where clauses in case of   "multi-valued"
properties
Sent by:
oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

Assuming http://server/resource/query URL that return IPNetwork instances,
would the above resource show up in query with the following oslc.where
clauses:

Would the resource below ...

xmlns:oslc="http://open-services.net/ns/core#"
xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:im="
http://tivoli-OSLC-prototypes/ns/im#">
<oslc:IPNetwork rdf:about="
http://dii01.tivlab.raleigh.ibm.com:8080/oslc/rr/shapes/IPNetwork">
<oslc:property>3</oslc:property>
<oslc:property>4</oslc:property>
<oslc:property>5</oslc:property>
</oslc:IPNetwork>
</rdf:RDF>

--

...show up in these two queries?
http://server/resource/query?oslc.where = property <= 4
http://server/resource/query?oslc.where = property != 4
http://server/resource/query?oslc.where = property = 4

At the heart of the question is the meaning of the comparison operator in
cases of multiple matching triples:
- **At least one** matching triple meets the criteria" or
- **Each** matching triple meets the criteria")

I am guessing the answer depends on the individual operator, but
consulting the larger group.

Regards

Denilson Nastacio
3901 S Miami Blvd

Chief Programmer for Data Integration Services - SWG Master Inventor
Durham, 27703-9135
7APA
USA
IBM Software Group, Tivoli