[oslc-core] Question/remarks about error responses

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 13 16:25:55 EDT 2011

Hello,

Response below...

> From: Thunissen Marc <marc.thunissen at oce.com>
> To: <oslc-core at open-services.net>,
> Date: 10/12/2011 04:20 AM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Question/remarks about error responses
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Hello,
>
> I am a little bit disappointed about the definition of the Error and
> ExtendedError resources definition.
>
> I would like to be able to return brief and understandable error
messages,
> and in some case I also need to provide more information to help the
> diagnose on the OSLC client.
>
> I can use the oslc:Error.oslc:message property for the understandable
> message but I can’t find a place for the additional information.
> The oslc:ExtendedError.oslc:moreInfo is defined as a resource to provide
“by
> reference”.
> This means that another REST request must be issued to get the this
information.
> So I must keep the details of the error somewhere on the server !?
> But, by definition, REST does not allow this.
The idea is not to store the state/session information for the request's
error but perhaps respond with a URL to a form (with fields to fill in the
from included in the URL).  For example, if there is a failed creation of
a resource (POST), then the POST'd content could be encoded into the URL
for a web form.

> So what should I do ?

What additional information are you needing to provide to a client?

I'd say that you can just simply add to the oslc:Error definition the
additional items you need within your own namespace.  If there are things
that you need and believe they need to be part of the spec, please outline
what is needed to be considered.