[oslc-core] Questions/remarks about the delegated UI for resource selection

Thunissen Marc marc.thunissen at oce.com
Wed Oct 12 05:36:51 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have a few remarks about the delegated UI for the resource selection:

1.       The specs are unclear about the possibility to select one or more resources.
The explanations are "allow a user to pick a resource" (one resource), but the example show a response with two resources.
My feeling about that is that the UI consumer should be able to choose the preferred behavior: single or multiple selection.
Can we imagine an option in the UI URI, such as "oslc.options=singleSelection" or "oslc.options=multipleSelection" ?

2.       As a UI consumer, I also have a need to restrict the resource selection.
I would like to allow the user to select an asset, but only for a specific asset type.
By instance we are in a workflow to create a request for tender and I want to allow the user to select a template for the document to create.
I could be useful to allow the "oslc.where" in the UI URI.
Something like and oslc.where=dcterms:type="Request for tender template" could be a solution.

3.       A common design pattern is to build the UI on top of the API.
It could be interesting to be able to create a generic UI layer using metadata coming from the API to build the creation and selection HTML forms.
We can use the resource shape, but I cannot find a kind of "display name" for the properties to create the form labels (and of course we need to care about the localization).

4.       I have some oslc resources for which some properties must be specified when creating a new resource but cannot be changed later.
I am not sure how to declare this in the shape.
Should I have to write "oslc:readOnly=true", "oslc:occurs=http://open-service.net/ns/core#Exactly-one" and no "oslc:defaultValue".
But there are also some resources, such as the "dc:identifier", that can neither be set at creation time nor changed later.
How can I mark the difference in the shape (still trying create the UI automatically) ?

Best regards,

Marc

Marc Thunissen ( OSL 31 )

Software Architect

Océ Software Laboratories Namur sa

Parc Créalys - Bâtiment Capella

rue Jean Sonet, 4 - 5032 GEMBLOUX

Tel: +32 81 876 744

Fax : +32 81 876 810

mailto:Marc.Thunissen at oce.com <mailto:Marc.Thunissen at oce.com>

http://www.osl.be <http://www.osl.be/>

http://www.oce.com <http://www.oce.com/>

Océ enables its customers to manage their documents efficiently and effectively by offering innovative print and document management products and services for professional environments

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

Thank you for your co-operation.