[oslc-core] Test Suites for OSLC Specifications

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Oct 4 17:22:04 EDT 2011

I'd like to start a discussion on how we should handle test suites. Test
suites are very valuable for improving the quality of specs and for
guiding implementers. Organizations like the W3C require test suites. For
example, RDF has a test suite [1]

Currently there are no test suites at OSLC. The Eclipse Lyo project has
proposed to create test cases, which is a great step forward. However, we
should make a clear distinction between test cases that are
implementation-neutral versus test cases that are for a given
implementation. In particular, the organization that owns the
specification should also own the implementation-neutral test cases for
it.

In the case of RDF, the test suite consists of a set of RDF documents that
cover as many of the features as possible. Both valid and invalid
documents should be in the test suite. The meaning of valid RDF/XML
documents is expressed by giving the corresponding set of RDF triples
expresses in the much simpler N-triples syntax.

For OSLC specs, we should provide test cases that give both valid and
invalid resources formats, and for HTTP protocol interactions, the
expected request and response pairs.

The Eclipse Lyo project should use these OSLC test suites to validate its
implementation. Implementers like Lyo should be encouraged to contribute
implementation-neutral test cases to the OSLC test suites.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/

Arthur Ryman

DE, PPM & Reporting Chief Architect
IBM Software, Rational
Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)