[oslc-core] DRAFT of minor updates to RM 2.0 specification ready for review

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 4 10:03:00 EDT 2011

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2Issues?rev=46
looked really big and scary (this is the change list for a "small
erratum"???) until I realized that only the item "OPEN V2.0 specification
is missing some vocabulary elements," is what we're talking about.  The
email below had me thinking that the issues list would be limited to the
contents of the proposed update.
The errata page
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2r20110503Errata is
what I was expecting.  Note that it does not address part ii of the issue,
in case that was unintentional.
Since I lack the history, some inconsistency in 2010/2011 dates wrt RM
finalization is confusing me.  Your email below states "new page
RmSpecificationV2r20100503, which is the RM 2.0 specification we declared
final on 3rd May 2011" ... note V2r20100503 [2010 date] vs 3rd May 2011.
Looking at the footer on
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2r20110503 , I see
"Main.RmSpecificationV2r20110503 moved from
Main.RmSpecificationV2r20100503" which makes it look like a 2010 spec was
(inadvertantly?) changed to a 2011 spec.
Looking at
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2r20110930 (linked
to from the issues entry), I see how it addresses the vocabulary omission
but not how it addresses part ii of the issue "(ii) that the connection
between oslc_rm:elaboratedBy and oslc_rm:elaborates remained unclear."
> You will notice that RmSpecificationV2r1 also has links the latest
version of the specification.  The intention is that this will link to
RmSpecificationV2.
I get a 404-equivalent (topic does not yet exist) on
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2r1.  Assuming you
meant RmSpecificationV2r20110930, but please confirm that was your intent.
> When we are agreed that RmSpecificationV2r20110930 is what we want,
RmSpecificationV2 will be updated
Sorry if this dense, but "updated how"?  Did you mean that the
RmSpecificationV2 would redirect to/be treated as a potentially temporary
alias for RmSpecificationV2r20110930 ?

Should we expect any changes to
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmHome , e.g. to the version and/or
date columns in the table?  To the RDFS vocabulary document?

Process note for future: the usual practice in my W3C days was that the
editors produced a diff of any proposed spec changes.  Since the Twiki
implementation you're using does that pretty easily, it might be a good
practice to adopt in OSLC (Core at least).

From:   Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
To:     oslc-rm at open-services.net
Cc:     oslc-core at open-services.net
Date:   09/22/2011 12:59 PM
Subject:        [oslc-core] DRAFT of minor updates to RM 2.0 specification
ready   for review
Sent by:        oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

Hello all

The minor changes to the RM 2.0 specification that we've been discussing
are now in place, and ready for review.
The issue list at [1] describes what has been done and why, and links to
the affected pages.
I've created a new page RmSpecificationV2r20110930, which is the DRAFT RM
2.0 specification with the updates to account for the errata.
I've created a new page RmSpecificationV2r20100503, which is the RM 2.0
specification we declared final on 3rd May 2011, but which also includes a
link to an errata, at RmSpecificationV2r20110503Errata, with previous and
next versions updated.  This errata describes the vocabulary terms that
are being added.
You will notice that RmSpecificationV2r1 also has links the latest version
of the specification.  The intention is that this will link to
RmSpecificationV2.
When we are agreed that RmSpecificationV2r20110930 is what we want,
RmSpecificationV2 will be updated.
I ask you to review these proposed changes and let me know as soon as
possible by email if you in disagreement.  Unless I hear of objections by
email I will action the above on 30 September and make these changes
final.

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2Issues

best wishes,
   -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational