[oslc-core] Encoding of OSLC resources

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 22 17:18:56 EST 2011

Following my nose through the specs (I've done similar before...), I find
that (in the specific case cited, i.e. RDF/XML) the governing spec appears
to be the media type registration for application/xml and the +xml suffix
[1].  Looking at the media type for application/rdf+xml [2], it defers to
[1].  [1] has fairly strong recommendations on both charset and encoding.
Since OSLC defines its own RDF/JSON serialization, and that re-uses the
JSON media type registration in [3], the latter would govern (see section
6, the RFC has no TOC so no direct link).  Again, the reg entry has fairly
strong recommendations on both.
OSLC would theoretically be allowed to specify non-conflicting
requirements (or change its media types and do what it likes), however
imposing any new MUSTs on existing concepts (especially in Core) would
raise compatibility issues.  Do you find the language in the respective
media type registrations sufficiently prescriptive for your scenarios?

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-3.2
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3870#section-2
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4627