[oslc-core] was dcterms:type intentionally omitted from Core's common properties?

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 15 21:19:05 EST 2011

> From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date: 11/15/2011 04:06 PM
> Subject: [oslc-core] was dcterms:type intentionally omitted from Core's
> common properties?
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Not having been around for the bulk of the 2.0 spec stream development,
I'm
> wondering if I should/not read anything (and if I should, what/how much)

> into which Dublin Core elements were explicitly listed as common
properties

I believe the same holds true for dcterms:relation as it is being used by
a couple specs as well.
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#elements-relation

The simple answer is that they aren't used frequent enough to be
considered "common" even though they come from a common namespace.  The
list of common properties is intended just to illustrate as the name
suggests, those that are commonly used by domain specs.  If other
properties become common, we can add/update to the list if the WG thinks
it is warranted.

> [1] vs those that were omitted.  dcterms:type provides a nice example.
It
> is in Dublin Core [2], it is used in CM 2.0 [3], but it is not in
OSLC-common.