[oslc-core] Encoding of OSLC resources

Frank Budinsky frankb at ca.ibm.com
Mon Nov 21 14:52:44 EST 2011

I'm wondering if the OSLC core specification needs to say something about
the encoding requirements for OSLC defined resources. Currently it seems to
only specify the requirement to support application/rdf+xml content type,
but there is no mention of charset. I was assuming that perhaps there might
be a well known requirement for the encoding of application/rdf+xml
documented somewhere else (e.g., in some w3c spec), but I've been unable to
find anything concrete. Maybe I just haven't looked long enough?

I think OSLC may need to specify something like:

   Is an explicit charset required in a response header? If not, what is
   the default (e.g., UTF-8)?
   What charsets MUST be supported by OSLC resource providers (e.g., UTF-8
   only, or UTF-8 and UTF-16, or other)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Frank.