[oslc-core] Last changes before going FINAL

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:40:41 EDT 2011

Now that OSLC-QM v2 and OSLC-RM v2 have gone final, and are both based
on OSLC Core v2, I believe we are ready to declare Core v2 FINAL.

But, there are a couple (3) of small changes (below) that would like
to get in before we do. The three corrections and clarifications below
came up during IBM-internal reviews of the OSLC Tutorial. I would like
to propose that we make these changes to Core now, and then move to
FINAL at our meeting next week.

Does anybody have any thoughts, objections, suggestions or other
feedback on these changes?

*** 1 *** Clarify description of Service Provider Catalog

Reason: Current text is vague about purpose of catalog.

OLD TEXT
"Service Provider Catalogs are used in the discovery of OSLC Service
Providers, to simplify the configuration of tools that will integrate
with providers of OSLC-defined services. These catalogs may contain
contain other nested catalogs as well as service providers."

NEW TEXT
"An OSLC implementation that offers one or more Service Provider
resources (see below), MAY also provide Service Provider Catalog to
enable OSLC clients to find Service Providers offered. These catalogs
may contain other nested catalogs as well as service providers."

*** 2 *** Correction: don't encourage use of alternative Query Syntax

Reason: Implementations can offer alternative query syntaxes, but we
don't need to mention that in the Core spec and we definitely should
not encourage domain workgroups to invent new syntaxes.

REMOVE TEXT (from Query Syntax section)
"OSLC domain specifications MAY define their own syntax for expressing
query criteria in a string"

*** 3 *** Correction: remove "occurs" column from Common Properties

Reasons: a) when we define common properties we are not defining
resources, so it does not make sense to specify an occurs value and b)
we expect domain specifications to decide the right "occurs" value
when they define their resources.

Thanks,
Dave

--