[oslc-core] Better name for OSLC indexing profile

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 31 16:50:59 EDT 2011

Hi Frank - thanks for asking :-)

> From: Frank Budinsky <frankb at ca.ibm.com>
> Date: 03/31/2011 04:27 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Better name for OSLC indexing profile
>
> Hi all,
>

> This profile requires a service provider to implement the following
> three capabilities:
> 1. Expose its complete set of "public resources". By public, we mean
> all the resources that the service provider does not consider to be
> internal implementation artifacts (not to be confused with anything
> to do with access permission's). At the previous WG call, the word
> "published resources" was suggested as a good way to describe these
> resources.
> 2. Provide a change log that lists change events for the set of
> published resources in (1), as well as creation events for new
> resources that would have been included in (1).
> 3. Provide access to security information (ACLs) for the published
> resources, to allow a client to mirror the access rules of the
> underlying tools.

I understand the first two items, is item three well defined yet? Should we
drop it until we know what it means more precisely??

> Jim used the word "Active", below, to capture the dynamic aspect.
> Sticking with that, I would suggest the following name for the profile:
> 1. Active Content Publishing
> 2. Content Publishing

Have to admit, Content Publishing seems to generic and makes me think of
Content management and other related topics rather than a list of resources
and resource changes. How about something more reflective of what we are
doing -- Resource Indexing Profile, or Resource Container Indexing Profile?
or Service Provider Indexing Profile? or any of these with "Changelog"
instead of "Profile"?