[oslc-core] ChangeLog Proposal Finalization

Samit Mehta samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 29 20:20:51 EDT 2011

Hi Frank,

I wanted to clarify the following regarding your proposal for the
ChangeLog.

Based on my understanding is that the OSLC client wishing to build a
queryable index would:
        a) query the resources using simple queries that are already
documented by OSLC specs
        b) use the change log URI to get "notified" of changes to that
service provider's resources

Wouldn't there be a significant overlap of the data returned by each HTTP
GET of the Change Log URI?  If a server doesn't truncate the log for say
seven days, then over that period the change log would  keep growing and
will include a large number of change log entries that were already
processed by the client.

Did I misunderstand your proposal?  Couldn't we design something where the
client has more control over what change log entries are returned - e.g.
specify that the provider return the change log entries with entry
sequence number greater than X, where X is the entry sequence number of
the sequentially last change log entry that client has already processed?

Also, would you agree that the proposed change log could be used for
integration scenarios where an OSLC client is needing to react to changes
to a set of resources?  In such cases, it would be useful if the OSLC
client could specify the list of resources (especially if it is a small
set) that it is interested in monitoring changes to - i.e. the client
could specify that the change log entries associated to a specified set of
resources be returned.

Samit Mehta
(512) 323-9350 - Work
mailto:samit.mehta at us.ibm.com
IBM Rational Software - Business Development