[oslc-core] Updated ChangeLog Proposal

Frank Budinsky frankb at ca.ibm.com
Thu Mar 24 09:32:22 EDT 2011

Nick Crossley/Irvine/IBM wrote on 03/22/2011 08:10:48 PM:

> Question: if a provider uses 'unstable paging' of large query
> results, as most probably will, what guarantees are there that a
> query will give you all resources at least once?  The description of
> unstable paging in the core spec just says that the resources might
> change as you read each page of the list, but do not mention the
> integrity or consistency or lack thereof for the result set itself.
> If the 'next page' link might return a page with a resource skipped
> over (perhaps because some resources from a previous page have been
> deleted, and so a resource would now appear on an earlier page),
> then the initial population of an index might be incomplete.  Should
> the core spec provide a general guarantee that paged results cannot
> skip resources, or should this belong in the indexer profile (or
> whatever we call it), or should an indexer use some other techniques
> to check for missing resources?

IMO, this is not an indexer issue, but rather a core OSLC paging issue. I
think the core spec needs to provide a guarantee that paged results won't
skip resources, or a way to efficiently detect the fact that it may have.
Is there currently a prescribed way to reliably and efficiently handle this
(e.g., page expiration)?

Thanks,
Frank.