[oslc-core] Can we / should we add a 'Compliance' section to the OSLC Core domain

Bill Higgins bhiggins at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 9 09:48:17 EST 2011

Hi all, several of the domain specifications have a very handy "Compliance"
table near the beginning that provides a quick reference of the basic
compliance requirements of the specifications.

Examples:
- Change Management:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;table=up#Compliance
- Quality Management:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/QmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Compliance

I was recently trying to find information on what parts of the Core Spec
required RDF/XML. One section says "For those reasons, OSLC Services SHOULD
provide and accept RDF/XML representations for each OSLC resource", another
section says "OSLC Services MUST support query responses in RDF/XML format
(media type application/rdf+xml) and MAY support other formats". Both
statements make sense in the context they are stated, but it was
challenging to have to scan the spec to find them.

It would be helpful if this sort of information could be summarized in one
section in the Core Specification. Perhaps we could add a "Compliance"
section at the top of the Core Spec to serve this purpose, similar to the
"Compliance" sections at the top of the domain specs (though perhaps with
slightly different content).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill Higgins, IBM