[oslc-core] Comments on Vocabulary.xsl (publishing vocabularies to HTML)

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Mar 8 10:31:34 EST 2011

Ian,

Nice work! I like the improvements.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management
IBM Software, Rational
Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063

From:
Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
To:
oslc-core at open-services.net
Date:
03/08/2011 05:40 AM
Subject:
[oslc-core] Comments on Vocabulary.xsl (publishing vocabularies to HTML)
Sent by:
oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

In [1] some practices for publishing OSLC vocabularies are described, and
a sample xsl is given [2] that generates wiki html from RDFS XML source.

The XSL assumes that the seeAlso linkage into the formal specification is
singular, but in the RM specification this is not the case - for example,
relationship properties are meaningful on multiple domain resource types
(RDFS classes) and so the RDFS contains more than one seeAlso for these
properties.  Dealing with multiple seeAlsos means that the practice of a
hyperlink from the rdfs:label to the seeAlso resource doesn't.

The seeAlsos on the owl:Ontology element are ignored and yet including
these seems useful.

The URI of the defined vocabulary elements is never explicitly included -
only the rdfs:label and namespace URI are included.  If the guidance is
followed, and the RDFS is correct, concatenating these together with an
intervening "#" should yield the correct URI.  Putting the URI in the HTML
seems safer.

I've modified the XSL as follows:
        headings are no longer hyperlinks - they are the rdfs:label only
        there is a See Also section for each vocabulary element and the
ontology itself which contains all of the see alsos.
        URIs are explicit (the rdf:about of the vocabulary element)
        some minor cosmetics - like separating out classes from properties
in the summary section

By way of example, here is the CM vocabulary HTML with this new XSL [3] -
c.f. the current one at [4].

I have two questions: would folk object to me using this XSL for the RM
vocabulary?  Would we prefer this XSL for all the vocabularies?

regards
        -ian

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreURINamingGuidance
[2]