[oslc-core] Better name for OSLC indexing profile

Jim des Rivieres Jim_des_Rivieres at ca.ibm.com
Thu Mar 24 13:51:04 EDT 2011

I don't have as much a problem as some with using the driving use case in
the name.  I believe in calling a spade a bloody shovel [OED], even if
shovels can be used for other things.

If I step way, way, back and imagine that the particular protocol we are
specifying here catches like wildfire in the open web (think Atom or
OAuth), the question I ask is what name would we like it to be known by.
Something that the world can latch onto, and have a chance of keeping it
straight in their minds amid myriad other Internal protocols.

I believe the main reason that apps will be signing up to be providers is
that they are sitting on some data resources that they would like to
expose in an RDF format so that other apps would be able to build
queryable indexes from.  Any old app can expose resources with RDF
representations without supporting this new protocol.  So the RDF by
itself is not sufficient. And this protocol says nothing about the indexes
that may get built.  Crucially, this protocol is about exposing
information in RDF form in a way that support someone else to build and
maintain an RDF-based index. And its not that interesting if the data is
static - you'd have no need of a change log. So being a dynamic source
also seems important (#1-#5 all touch on this aspect.

So how about the "Active RDF Index Source" protocol. And that when we talk
about a OSLC domain service provider, we could talk about what it would
mean for them to support the "Active RDF Index Source Profile", which
would entail implementing the provider role of the Active RDF Index Source
protocol, and providing specified enties in OSLC service, service
provider, and service provider catalogs that make its Active RDF Index
Sources discoverable.

Regards,
Jim

[OED] See entry in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade