[oslc-core] Repost: Relative URIs in rdf:about of OSCL resources

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jan 18 11:17:56 EST 2011

Olivier,

You are correct. RDF/XML does allow relative URIs in certain places,
including rdf:about. The URI is resolved into an absolute URI using the
XML Base rules. [1] You can include an xml:base attribute. If that's
missing, the base is the document URI.

Your link points to the application/xml section of the spec which gives
guidelines for producing an XML representation that would be valid
RDF/XML, but that would not use all the features of RDF/XML and therefore
be suitable for processing as XML. The intention was to eliminate
flexibility so it would be easier to parse.

When you produce application/rdf+xml, use RDF/XML, there are no
constraints, i.e. just follow the W3C spec.

Are you asking to clarify the use of relative URIs in the application/xml
case?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#section-Syntax-ID-xml-base

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management
IBM Software, Rational
Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063