[oslc-core] Behavior of oslc.where and oslc.sort if resources are not managed by the service provider

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jan 12 09:56:49 EST 2011

Dragos,

Yes, the first two match the oslc.where clause.

I disagree that the server should report an error. The query is run
against the graph of triples known to the service, and the service returns
the matches on that graph. The meaning of the result set is scoped to what
the service knows.

It is certainly possible that the third resource could have
oslc:shortTitle="Some defect" in another graph (e.g. obtained by
referencing the resource and getting its representation) since any service
might have triples about any resource in its graph. That is consistent
with the Open World assumption behind Linked Data and RDF.

The query result must be understood in the context of the graph you are
querying. If your application needs more data then you should run the
query on a bigger graph, e.g. one created by an indexer.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management
IBM Software, Rational
Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063