[oslc-core] New OSLC ChangeLog Proposal

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 4 09:50:05 EST 2011

> From: Frank Budinsky <frankb at ca.ibm.com>
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net
> Cc: Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Date: 12/20/2010 10:47 AM
> Subject: [oslc-core] New OSLC ChangeLog Proposal
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Hello,
>
> Nick Crossley and I would like to submit a proposal for adding a
ChangeLog
> service to the OSLC core specification. This new service will be key to
the
> success of an indexer, and therefore we would like to queue it up for
> discussion as soon as possible in January.
>
> The OSLC proposal, itself, is described in section 1.5 of the attached
> document, while the rest of the document describes an indexer prototype,

> including how it intends to use the change log.
>
> (See attached file: RDF_indexer_overview_1220.doc)
>
> Any comments/feedback on the new proposal or the indexer prototype
itself
> would be very welcome.

Hi Frank,

Proposal seems quite simple and workable.  Some initial comments on the
proposal:

Though I would have expected that a client could request a date range for
the change log, or simply "changes since some date time".  Whether some of
the query syntax could be used or simply using name-value pair on
changelog service URI such as ?oslc.since=mmddyy or something.

Why is an ordered collection important if you have oslc:at (timestamp)
with each entry?  Is it expected that clients need to validate oslc:at
match the order?  I suspect the answer is that in order for the indexer to
properly process paged responses, it would like to start with first page
received and not have to fetch all pages to validate order.

Would you expect that each occurrence (change event) be possibly a
URI-addressable resource itself?  Proposal seems to imply it is not in
your proof of concept but could imagine implementations where it is.  Not
sure there is any issue with this, just an observation that may be worth
noting.

It would be interesting when we have this discussion to look at the
scenarios where we are interested in change log for a given resource, for
example "history of a defect", to see how these models should compliment
each other.  As Olivier alluded to in his response, there could be cases
where it might be helpful to extend this to include more detail about the
change.

Would be good to stick to Dublin Core, for example dc:date instead of
oslc:at.   Not sure there are good matches for any of the other
properties.