[oslc-core] Decision process in OSLC... Re: Renaming property oslc:discussion to oslc:partOfDiscussion for oslc:Comment

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:45:52 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the decision making process, I'd like to follow-up on this.
> I'm sympathetic to your concerns about the process being open to all,
> and not just those who attend WG meetings.
>
> I think this is something we should document as part of the OSLC
> process. I believe this is the best description of the process that we
> have so far:
>
>   http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcWorkgroupPrinciplesandBestPractices
>
> Perhaps we should add some text to that and require that decisions
> made during WG meetings be documented, highlighted on the WG mailing
> list and not finalized until the next WG meeting... giving the wider
> community a chance to discuss and possibly reverse the decision before
> it is acted upon.

I've been thinking more about this issue and a plan for addressing this issue:
1) Add text to the Workgroup best practices page above
2) Publicize the change on OSLC community mailing list
3) Ask workgroups to link to the Best Practices on their home pages

Here's the new text to be added:

<new text>
Sometimes workgroup members cannot attend workgroup meetings due to
time-zone differences, conflicts and other factors but we still want
them to be able to fully participate in the OSLC community.

To help those members who cannot attend some or all meetings,
Workgroups should provide detailed meeting minutes for each meeting,
and share any materials discussed, e.g. presentations, wiki pages and
other documents.

Workgroups should also take special care when making decisions during
meetings. Any decisions made should be called out in the meeting
minutes, and workgroup members should hold off on implementing such
decisions until either the decision has been discussed on the
workgroup mailing list or the next meeting.
</new text>

Maybe that will not fully resolve the problem, but will the above plan
improve things?

Any other comments on the plan or text? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave