[oslc-core] Creation of new OSLC Shape Resources?

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Wed Feb 9 07:39:09 EST 2011

DOORS and RRC systems have a customizable, user-defined type system.  As
OSLC RM providers, they surface these types as OSLC Resource Shapes. Other
applications commonly do the same.

Whilst OSLC shape allows providers to describe the shape of their
resources, I'm not sure that it allows OSLC collaborators to agree on a
vocabulary for linking (I'm picking on linking, but the same goes for
other uses of shape).  A basic requirement for this is to be able to
create new resource shapes.

I wonder how many OSLC implementations are capable of accepting a resource
whose shape is described by a resource hosted at another authority?
Without such provision, collaborators will tend to replicate resource
shape resources (using oslc:describes and oslc:propertyDefinition to
identify those shapes across providers).  If this approach is followed,
there is a risk that the synchronization of changes to those shape
resources will break and inconsistencies will result.

Today I don't think that the OSLC specifications cater for the basic need
to create new resource shapes;  I do think that the specifications admit a
single resource shape to be used to describe the shape of resources in
multiple distinct providers.  Is this the right way to proceed?  (For
example, is the central shape model realistic given its affinity to the
data?)

As far as shape creation goes, does anyone see a problem with a creation
factory that allows new resource shapes to be POSTed?  (The same for query
and the delegated UIs.)

best wishes,
    -ian