[oslc-core] Buglet in Core 2.0 - non-exemplary(?) use of Change Request

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 30 15:08:49 EST 2011

Stumbled across the excerpt below at [1]:  note the phrase "content body
is a change request resource definition ".  Unless "change request" is
intended to be a term of art that I don't recognize (if so, just a
different problem), this could easily be read to mean than an OSLC CM 2.0
Change Request [2] is the only input allowed to pre-fill the creation
dialog ... which I'm pretty sure was not the intent.  I don't get much
more satisfaction thinking of it as a (HTTP) PATCH document, especially in
this context where POST is explicitly called out.
I'm guessing that a change like the following is needed, so here's a
strawman proposal:

from: whose content body is a change request resource definition     to
to:   whose entity  body is an incomplete    resource representation to

We might then be faulted for not defining what an "incomplete" resource
is, and for failing to say what the relationship is between the incomplete
resource and the (ultimately) newly created resource is.  I could answer
that with the following strawman (to be inserted where convenient in
context):
The incomplete resource representation provides a template for how to
pre-fill the creation form.  It is simply a set of triples whose
predicates and corresponding object values provide initial values for the
resource being created via the form.

Prefilling Creation Dialogs
Service providers MAY support receiving a POST request whose content body
is a change request resource definition to the Creation Dialog URI to
retrieve a URI that represents the embedded page to be used. Service
providers MUST respond with a response status of 201 (Created) with the
response header Location whose value is the URI to request the newly
created form.

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecification?sortcol=table;table=up;up=#Dialog_Resizing
then page UP one