[oslc-core] OSLC Compact representation, titles with markup

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Aug 25 16:47:05 EDT 2011

Sam,

By "generic RDF/XML" I mean arbitrary, unconstrained RDF/XML. We started
out trying to define a constrained RDF/XML for general use because we
thought it would be easier to parse with standard XML technologies.
However, we did not want to pay the price of defining this precisely,
having a validator, etc. We soon found it was very hard to entice toolkits
to generate RDF/XML that precisely fit our design. The closest we came was
the so-called Abbreviated RDF/XML in Jena. There was no spec for that. I
assume it's just supposed to be easier to read by humans. In the end we
decided to abandon that approach and simply adopt the W3C RDF/XML spec.

However, as a legacy, that compact UI spec still used the constrained
RDF/XML. However, we don't call it RDF. It's content type is
application/xml. It just happens to also be valid RDF/XML but service
providers are not allowed to use unconstrained RDF/XML. They have to
generate precisely that format. We could even have written an XSD to
describe the format. The goal was to make it easy to parse in browsers,
i.e. not require full browser-based RDF parsers.

Yes, it would have made sense to use JSON for this purpose since browsers
can more easily parse that. However, as a general rule, we want to
minimize the number of formats a service provider has to support. This XML
format is a MUST.

Arthur Ryman

DE, PPM & Reporting Chief Architect
IBM Software, Rational
Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)