[oslc-core] OSLC Compact representation, titles with markup

Samuel Padgett spadgett at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 23 11:11:38 EDT 2011

Hi, Arthur. Thanks for the answers. It clears some things up for me.

Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 08/22/2011 04:40:25 PM:

> I don't think problems using XPath are a valid reason to encode markup
> since RDF/XML itselt is very difficult to process using XPath. At one
> point we tried to define an OSLC-variant of RDF/XML that looked like
> "normal" XML. However, we abandonned that and now require support for
> generic RDF/XML.

To make sure I understand: By generic RDF/XML, you are talking about what
the spec calls "constrained RDF/XML" in Appendix B, right? [1]

> The are many equivalent ways to represent a given set of triples in
> RDF/XML. It would therefore be very problematic to use XPath, XSLT, or
> XQuery to process RDF/XML. The safe way to process RDF/XML is to use an
> RDF toolkit like Jena.

This makes sense, and I agree. But for me it also raises a few questions:

- Do we need a JSON Compact representation for consumers who don't use an
RDF library? This is one of the few resources in OSLC that doesn't have a
JSON representation, and it seems natural since so often the consumer here
is a web client.

- Should we define a "constrained RDF/XML" representation if our
recommendation is to use an RDF toolkit anyway? JSON might be a reasonable
alternative for those who don't want RDF/XML.

Best Regards,
Sam

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixRepresentations?sortcol=table;up=#Guidelines_for_application_xml