[oslc-core] OSLC Compact representation, titles with markup

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Aug 22 16:10:19 EDT 2011

Sam,

You are correct. If you need to include formatting markup in text, the you
should use the XML Literal datatype and put XHTML in it. XML Literal
allows any well-formed  XML fragment, e.g. anything that is valid XML
element content.

Your example is almost correct. It should also include the XHTML namespace
declaration. A processor could assume that tags in the default namespace
are XHTML. However, you should be explicit and include the namespace
declaration:

  <dcterms:title rdf:parseType="Literal" xmlns="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml ">12345: <s>Null pointer exception
during startup</s></dcterms:title>

A looked at the core spec [1] for dcterms:title and noticed another typo.
The description description says:

Title of the resource represented as rich text in XHTML content. SHOULD
include only content that is valid inside an XHTML <div> element.

I think this was just copied from the description for dcterms:description,
which SHOULD be like a <div>. A dcterms:title SHOULD be like a <span>,
i.e.:

Title of the resource represented as rich text in XHTML content. SHOULD
include only content that is valid inside an XHTML <span> element.

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixA#Dublin_Core_Properties

Arthur Ryman

DE, PPM Chief Architect