[oslc-core] Better name for OSLC indexing profile

Benjamin Williams bwilliams at uk.ibm.com
Mon Apr 4 11:43:55 EDT 2011

Thanks for the reply Frank...

>>> In what spec is the term "published resources" defined?

I don't know that it is (yet), and I agree the term should be defined.
I was questioning why we need a specific named capability, but you've
addressed that question with the below comment.

>>>Yes, but since Query Capability is completely optional in the core
spec, and furthermore, there is no way to know which of the (possibly
many) Query Capabilities is exposing the "total set of resources", we need
an optional capability to describe how that is to be done.
My proposal for this "Resource Publishing Capability" had been that a
service provider MUST annotate 1 or more of it's associated Query
Capabilities with a special oslc:usage value, something like"
http://open-services/ns/core/log#resources".

A question for my own understanding...if a service provider annotates more
than 1 of its Query Capabilities via the oslc:usage parameter, then how
does a consumer know which of the (possibly many) Query Capabilities is
exposing the "total set of resources"?

>>> If, however, we all agree that this "published resources" concept
should be a core OSLC capability then I would suggest a URI more like
this:

oslc:usage = "http://open-services/ns/core#published"

I'm still not sure in which spec this capability would be described.
Anybody?

Makes sense to me for it to be an optional core capability that is a
mandatory capability of the indexing profile.
>>> This makes me think that any of the following names would be quite
reasonable:
1.      "Resource Changelog Capability"
2.      "Resource Changes Capability"
3.      "Resource History Capability"

I could live with any of these names, but personally, I think I favour #1,
since it has the word "log" in it, which is exactly what we're providing.
Another reason for including the word "log" is, as Mike Loeffler pointed
out on another thread, this design is very much like a "database
transaction log".

Likewise any of the three above names work for me, as none make
assumptions about a consumers use-case, though agree #1 is maybe
preferable since it accurately describes the way in which the historical
information is delivered.

Regards

Benjamin Williams
Rational Reporting Strategy Lead
Senior Product Manager, Rational Reporting
IBM Software, Rational

Phone: 44-118 9793107
E-mail: bwilliams at uk.ibm.com
Find me on: