[oslc-core] We're more than just Core, we're common too

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 4 09:29:33 EDT 2011

I think the name "core and common" is a bit too wordy but good for the
overall description.
I'm fine with continuing to call it the "Core WG" but to make it clear the
WG has more than 1 deliverable than the Core spec.

The "Core WG" is responsible for:
- addressing / assisting with common and cross-domain topics
- the handling of these topics may produce:
   - recommendation to not spec anything in Core but handle in domain
specs
   - produce guidance, like link guidance
   - produce specification in the form of a Core spec
   - produce specification in the form of a specialized spec (baselines,
reporting, etc).
     - it may do so in the form of capability leads or focus areas to
drive these specialized topics
   - define how domain specs adapt and conform to these common specs

Not sure we need to refer to these focused and specialized specs as
extensions but could be thought of that way.
Also the term profile seems to just restate what a spec is doing.  A spec
says what is required or not, even in the form of referencing other specs.
 For example, the QM spec defines its own resource types and which
capabilities of the Core spec are required, optional, etc.  Which the Core
spec does the same with other specs,

oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
> Date:        01-04-2011 13:15
> Subject:        Re: [oslc-core] We're more than just Core, we're common
too
> Sent by:        oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>

> Dave,
>
> I think it's more fitting to call all these efforts "Common" since they
> are domain-independent, and within that have "Core" and "Extensions".
The
> "Core" features are what all domains should implement. The "Extensions"
> are what domains optionally implement, depending on their requirements.
We