[oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications to "Range" definition

Jim des Rivieres Jim_des_Rivieres at ca.ibm.com
Tue Sep 28 12:10:14 EDT 2010

+1  I think this gets the right amount of clarity and nuance:

that the target resource will be a ChangeRequest, but that is not
necessarily the case.

From:
Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
To:
oslc-core at open-services.net
Date:
09/28/2010 10:58 AM
Re: [oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications       to      "Range"
definition
Sent by:
oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

RFC2119 MAY is being used here as a hint - setting an expectation.

My suggestion is to put some non-normative text along the lines of "it is
likely that the target resource will be a ChangeRequest, but that is not
necessarily the case".

target resource MAY be another oslc_cm:ChangeRequest resource.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational

oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 28/09/2010 14:47:12:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: [oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications to "Range" definition
>
> Steve K Speicher
>
> to:
>
> Andrew J Berner
>
> 28/09/2010 14:47
>
> Sent by:
>
> oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

> oslc-core, oslc-cm
>
> Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM wrote on 09/28/2010 09:21:19 AM:
>
> > From: Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM
> > To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> > Cc: Jim des Rivieres <Jim_des_Rivieres at ca.ibm.com>,
> oslc-cm at open-services.net,
> > oslc-core at open-services.net, oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
> > Date: 09/28/2010 09:22 AM
> > Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposed language / modifications to "Range"
> definition
> >
> > So I understand the purpose of not requiring the type.  At some point
we
> may
> > consider whether the type has to support a particular "interface" so
> that I
> > can count on it "knowing" relevant information, but let's not go there

> right now.
> >
> > But we don't want to throw out the value of typing while allowing late

> > binding....If I do know the type (like "often the target resource is
> another
> > oslc_cm:ChangeRequest resource) then there is more that I can do with
> it,
> > since I have (in my imagination) written my client to use information
> from
> > such targets.  Can I find out in advance if it is, without having to
> fetch it?
> > I may be "out of date"---it the type returned in a header, so I can at

> worst
> > have to make a cheap "HEAD" call instead of a GET?  Is the type of the

> target
> > inlined in the link? Unlike attributes of the target that we should
NOT