[oslc-core] REMINDER: OSLC Core WG meeting tomorrow 10am US/ET

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Fri Sep 17 11:48:51 EDT 2010

Dave/Jim,

Thx for improving the example. But now I find myself asking another
question. Why are we using magazine subscriptions?

This example looks technically correct, but it looks very contrived. If I
was designing a data model that involved magazine subscriptions, I would
certainly make a Subscription a first-class resource, and I would define
all the usual properties on it. In this example, somehow we have elevated
the subscribesTo property to a higher importance than the subscription
itself, and we have in effect turned the reified Statement into a
substitute for a Subscription resource. In practice, I would use a
hasSubscription property to relate the Customer to a Subscription.

I think an example should be more than technically correct. It should also
show how a technique is motivated in practice. I have to believe that
there is a more compelling example for the introduction of link
properties. We need a real-world, OSLC domain example where it becomes
natural to add properties to the link. If we can't find a convincing
example, perhaps this link guidance is not needed.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management
IBM Software, Rational
Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063