[oslc-core] Topic for tomorrow's meeting: now to represent an Anchor in JSON

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 17:35:14 EDT 2010

I didn't have an opportunity to reconvene the Link Guidance group to
re-visit the guidance on representing anchors in JSON, but I did take
another look at the JSON guidance myself and have a proposal for
changing the Representation Guidance to explain how to represent link
labels (i.e. Anchors).

   Link Guidance - has example of anchor in JSON
   http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreLinksDRAFT

   Representation Guidance - currently does not explain how to
represent an anchor
   http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreRepresentationsGuidance

In RDF/XML there is a long-form for representing link labels and it
involves the properties rdf:subject, rdf:object and rdf:predicate. We
also have a short form. I guess I don't see why the JSON
representation should take queues from either RDF/XML approach. We
already represent a link (i.e. value-type Resource with representation
Reference) as a JSON field with a JSON object value. The object has a
field 'rdf:resource' set to the URL of the link. To annotate a link in
JSON, you simply add the annotating property values to that JSON
object. That's what we currently show by example in the Link Guidance.

To bring the representation guidance in line, I believe all we need to
do is add this:

   1.3.2 If the resource reference is part of an Anchor (as described
in Link Guidance)
   and has annotating property values, then include these properties
within the JSON object.

I'd like to discuss this in the workgroup meeting tomorrow and if we
can't close on it, then we'll reconvene the Link Guidance sub-group as
we discussed last week and try to work out a solution.

Thanks,
Dave