[oslc-core] Question on use of foaf:Person

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Sat Sep 4 13:39:49 EDT 2010

Hi.

Le samedi 04 septembre 2010 à 12:26 -0400, Samuel Padgett a écrit :
> Hi, Scott. Appendix A says this,
>
> >> "There is an additional constraint for foaf:Person. Implementations
> MUST specify either a non-empty foaf:name value or both a non-empty
> foaf:givenName and foaf:familyName values." [1]
>
> A lot of providers don't require a real name when creating user IDs.
> ClearQuest is one example. I'm not sure how to handle this case as it's a
> MUST per the spec.
>
> Also I share Ian's concern that this is potentially sensitive information.

I'm not sure such requirements are problematic, since the name might as
well just be set to "unknown" or "(not provided)" or "(masked)" or
whatever ...

I think it's great for potential interoperability with LOD [0] to use
widely used ontologies like FOAF to describe persons, but no one says
that its properties may be authoritative in any way, right ?

Just my 2 cents,

[0] http://linkeddata.org/
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>