[oslc-core] Clarification on oslc:readOnly

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Fri Oct 8 05:37:17 EDT 2010

The description of this property is unclear.  It currently reads

   true if property is read-only. If not set or false, then property is not
   read-write.

How about:
      true if the property is read-only.  If not set, or false, the
      property is writable.

Do we additionally want some explanation of read-only?  Here is an example,
but perhaps the use of SHOULD below is too strong -
      Providers SHOULD declare a property read-only when changes to the
      value of that property will not be accepted on PUT.  Consumers should
      note that the converse does not apply: Providers MAY reject a change
      to the value of a writable property.

I'd suggest that if oslc:readOnly is of type xsd:boolean, we adopt the
lexical space defined by XSD (true, false, 0, 1).

(If we could tolerate a breaking change at this stage, I'd suggest that
oslc:readOnly be a Resource|Reference, with values
http://open-services/ns/core#true and false. )

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational