[oslc-core] Fw: Issue with the Use of dcterms:title and dcterms:description with oslc:ResponseInfo

Martin Nally nally at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 26 20:22:32 EST 2010

I like where you are going with this. I have a few comments,
clarifications, and questions:

One thing I really like about the direction we appear to be heading in is
that it doesn't require a change to the core spec. Instead we would offer a
clarification/extension that explains what a server should do if it wants
to initiate pagination. The spec already explains what clients need to do.

If the server wants to initiate paging, it could reply with a 302 or 303
redirect, or it could just go ahead and return the first page. Both seem
reasonable - the following link describes and implicitly endorses both
techniques for selecting a representation based on language -
http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#conneg. Selecting non-paginated or paginated
representations based on size is a different case from selecting the
appropriate language representation based on the accept-language header,
but the analogy seems reasonable.

Using a 302 or 303 redirect seems very "classic" to me - it seems very
harsh to try forbid its use. If we allow its use, well-behaved clients have
to anticipate the possibility and code for it. Would you recommend
forbidding the server from using redirect, even though it's a common and
valid solution for these sorts of cases? This question is actually broader
than the current topic of pagination - in the real web, servers can use
redirects whenever they see fit, as described in the link above. The core
spec should probably say whether or not OSLC clients need be ready for
this. My first thought is that they do.

Regardless of the answer to the question on 302/303 redirects, I like your
suggestion that the server should be allowed to return the first page in
response to a GET on the whole list (contrary to what I originally wrote).
If we allow this, I would like us to mandate that the server provide a
content-location header in the response that indicates that the resource
that was returned is in fact http://example.org/bugs?oslc:pagination=true,
not http://example.org/bugs. This gives the client two ways to recognize
what just happened - it can notice that the resource returned is different
from the one requested, or it can look for a nextPage property in the
representation. More generally, it provides the client with a specific
indicator of the "implicit redirect" that happened on the server without
having to guess based on the representation. When we get our verification
test suite going, it should check for this.

Several people have noted that the term "ResponseInfo" does not fit the
conceptual model currently documented in the spec. I think this term is may
be a relic a different conceptual model that was previously proposed and
discarded. Any chance we can change the name to match the model? Page would
be the obvious choice of term.

RDF representations lend themselves very nicely to pagination, because an
RDF graph has no structure - it's just a set of triples, so is easy to
break into subsets. Some other representations, like HTML, are much harder
to paginate, and in fact I find it hard to imagine a satisfactory way to
paginate HTML (maybe 2 pages - one with the head and one with the body).
JSON might also be tricky to paginate. Is pagination only expected to work
with RDF? If so, the spec should say so - I didn't find anything when I
looked. If pagination is expected to work with other formats like JSON, I
think the spec needs explain how to paginate them.

It's not clear what totalCount refers to. Is it simply the number of
triples? The spec says "the number of results", which is a bit vague. I
think we should clarify.

Frank Budinsky pointed out that the sequence of pages is a collection, and
that RDF already has a vocabulary for collections. This would suggest that
we do not need oslc:nextPage - we can use rdf:next instead. Regardless of
whether or not we drop oslc:nextPage, Frank also points out that it would
be more consistent with precedent if the collection was terminated with a
value of rdf:nil for next(Page), rather than absence of the property.

Best regards, Martin

Martin Nally, IBM Fellow
CTO and VP, IBM Rational
tel: +1 (714)472-2690

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |11/26/2010 09:57 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Fw: [oslc-core] Issue with the Use of dcterms:title and dcterms:description with oslc:ResponseInfo                                            |

Martin,

I actually like this alternative. I have some comments.

There are really two different reasons why paging might occur 1) the client
has limitations, 2) the server has limitations. The core spec only is
explicit about the client limitations. If a client does not request paging,
and the result exceeds the server limits, then there are two alternates -
the request can fail, or the server can return partial results and a link
to the rest. I think we'd agree that the later is more friendly and has
precedents. Atom works that way, and so does Insight since it copies Atom.
In both cases there is a specified way to link to the next page without the
client initiating a paging request.

I think our spec should be more explicit, i.e. a client SHOULD always check
for an oslc.nextPage property. If we adopted this, then we wouldn't need
the redirects.

 Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE                               (Embedded image moved to
                                                          file: pic32000.gif)

 Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

 IBM Software, Rational

 Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell:
 416-939-5063

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |11/25/2010 08:35 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |Fw: [oslc-core] Issue with the Use of dcterms:title and dcterms:description with oslc:ResponseInfo                                                |

I do not believe that the problem with the core spec that you describe
exists. I think the core spec is fine in this area and should be left alone
- I think the current design is superior to the one you propose.

Your description says that the problem arises when the user requests
http://example.org/bugs, and the server decides to respond with only the
first page. In the model upon which the core spec is based, this can't
happen. "The list of bugs" and "the first page of the list of bugs" are two
different concepts and are thus two different resources with two different
URLs, and the server does not have the right to respond with the
representation of one when the other was requested. The URL for "the first
page of the list of bugs" is clearly specified in the core spec - it is
http://example.org/bugs?oslc.paging=true. Although the server may not
respond with "the first page of the list of bugs" when the client asked for
"the list of bugs", it might be acceptable for the server to perform a 302
(or 303) redirect if it decided that the requested resource is too big to
return. An argument against this would be that it is unfriendly to surprise
a client that may not understand paging in this way, but on the other hand,
returning an unworkably large representation might be worse and so the
redirect might be the lesser of two evils. If the server did perform a
redirect to  http://example.org/bugs?oslc.paging=true, a subsequent GET on
that URL would produce the following representation according to the
current core spec design:

   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
           xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:oslc="
   http://open-services.net/ns/core#"
           xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
           <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/bugs">
                   <dcterms:title>Bug List</dcterms:title>
                   <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/1" />
                   <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/2" />
                   <!--  etc. -->
                   <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/1000
   "/>
           </rdf:Description>
           <oslc:ResponseInfo rdf:about="
   http://example.org/bugs?oslc,paging=true">
                   <dcterms:title>Bug List - Page 1</dcterms:title>
                   <oslc:totalCount>10000</oslc:totalCount>
                   <oslc:nextPage rdf:resource="
   http://example.org/bugs/pages/2" />
           </oslc:ResponseInfo>
   </rdf:RDF>

As you can see there is no problem because the two dcterms:title triples
have different subjects.

Best regards, Martin

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |oslc-core at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |11/23/2010 12:47 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
|------------>
  |[oslc-core] Issue with the Use of dcterms:title and dcterms:description with oslc:ResponseInfo                                                    |
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net                                                                                                               |

While reviewing an implementation I noticed that dcterms:title and
dcterms:description can be used with oslc:ResponseInfo. This can lead to
confusion in the case of requesting a any resource, since that resource
itself may use those properties. The resource URI of the first page of a
multi-page response is the same as the URI of the resource itself.

For example, suppose we have a resource that is a list of bugs and that it
has the dcterms:title "List of Bugs". Suppose it contains 10,000 bugs, and
this is too much to return in one response. This resource is like:

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
        xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:oslc="
http://open-services.net/ns/core#"
        xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
        <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/bugs">
                <dcterms:title>Bug List</dcterms:title>
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/1" />
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/2" />
                <!--  etc. -->
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/10000"
/>
        </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

Suppose the service will only return 1,000 or less bugs per response. When
you get the bug list URI, the response therefore gets paged. The OSLC Core
spec says that the first page looks something like:

        <oslc:ResponseInfo rdf:about="http://example.org/bugs">
                <dcterms:title>Bug List - Page 1</dcterms:title>
                <oslc:totalCount>10000</oslc:totalCount>
                <oslc:nextPage rdf:resource="
http://example.org/bugs/pages/2" />
        </oslc:ResponseInfo>
</rdf:RDF>

The issue here is that now there are two dcterms:title triples associated
with the subject node <http:example.org/bugs>, which is confusing since
the second one (a child of the oslc:ResponseInfo element)  is really the
title of the response.

I can see two fixes. I prefer fix 1 since it cleanly separates the
response info from the request result data.

1. (Preferred) Introduce another property, e.g. oslc:request to identify
the request URI, and use a blank node for oslc:ResponseInfo. The result is
now:

                <oslc:request rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs" />
                <dcterms:title>Bug List - Page 1</dcterms:title>
                <oslc:totalCount>10000</oslc:totalCount>
                <oslc:nextPage rdf:resource="
http://example.org/bugs/pages/2" />
        </oslc:ResponseInfo>
</rdf:RDF>

2. Use different properties for title and description, e.g.
oslc:responseTitle, oslc:responseDescription

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
        xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:oslc="
http://open-services.net/ns/core#"
        xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
        <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/bugs">
                <dcterms:title>Bug List</dcterms:title>
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/1" />
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/2" />
                <!--  etc. -->
                <rdfs:member rdf:resource="http://example.org/bugs/1000"
/>
        </rdf:Description>
        <oslc:ResponseInfo rdf:about="http://example.org/bugs">
                <oslc:responseTitle>Bug List - Page 1</oslc:responseTitle>
                <oslc:totalCount>10000</oslc:totalCount>
                <oslc:nextPage rdf:resource="
http://example.org/bugs/pages/2" />
        </oslc:ResponseInfo>
</rdf:RDF>