[oslc-core] Some Topics for Discussion Today

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Thu May 27 10:51:43 EDT 2010

Hi Arthur
some of my OWL thinking can be found in the attached document.  perhaps it
would provoke a discussion?  (The "OWL" parts in the attached document -
Simon nor Ed commented on that so they may not agree with what I wrote.)

You suggestion that we could offer a mapping to OWL is not something I'd
considered, but would offer a way to put shape on a firmer basis without
pulling in the complexity of the underlying RDF model.  It would also
finesse the intractability of OWL DL.  I'm not sure that it would lead to
a common understanding of the meaning of the OSLC resource shape
vocabulary.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational

oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 26/05/2010 13:59:42:

> [image removed]
>
> [oslc-core] Some Topics for Discussion Today
>
> Arthur Ryman
>
> to:
>
> oslc-core
>
> 26/05/2010 14:00
>
> Sent by:
>
> oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> 1. I've been digging deeper into OWL and there does appear to be a way
> express the kind of information we are putting in our Shape resources,
> e.g. cardinality. The OWL way is somewhat more complex - it involves
class
> restrictions. Our Shape approach is easier for clients to handle. I
think
> we should at least describe the semantics of Shape in terms of OWL so we

> are compatible. We may be able to regard Shape as a simplified form for
> the equivalent OWL.
>
> 2. Our use of Dublin Core namespace prefixes seems a little inconsistent

> with common practice. We are using the newer terms namespace,
> http://purl.org/dc/terms/ instead of the legacy elements namespace
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/. However, the usual prefix for the
terms
> namespace seems to be dcterms: while the elements namespace uses dc:.  I

> suggest we adopt this convention and use dcterms: as the predefined and
> recommended prefix. See [1]
>
> "So as not to affect the conformance of existing implementations of
> "simple Dublin Core" in RDF, domains and ranges have not been specified
> for the fifteen properties of the dc: namespace
> (http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/). Rather, fifteen new properties with
> "names" identical to those of DCMES Version 1.1 have been created in the

> dcterms: namespace (http://purl.org/dc/terms/). "
>
> 3. I think we should establish or identify a best practice for services
> that provide access to resources through both http and https. In this
> case, the same resource is being made available at two different URLs.
The