[oslc-core] Question on UI Preview - data refresh

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Mon May 17 08:53:42 EDT 2010

I've raised an issue on the UP Preview spec. at [1].

My concern is over this excerpt:

If this becomes known to the Consumer, the Consumer SHOULD assume that
this information is better and use it to improve and replace the default
link display.

If the "improvement" to the link display is interpreted by a consumer
implementer as "update the persisted representation of the provider's
resource" then data may leak outside of the provider's security model.
Have I misinterpreted the specification?

My thinking is that the responsibilities of the UI Preview specification
should be limited to UI Preview, and not to "refresh" of persisted data.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational