[oslc-core] Guidelines for specifying future-proof resources/capabilities

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed May 12 09:34:41 EDT 2010

Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com> wrote on 05/06/2010 08:04:23 AM:

> From: Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com>
> To: oslc-core <oslc-core at open-services.net>
> Date: 05/06/2010 08:04 AM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Guidelines for specifying future-proof
> resources/capabilities
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> re: Specification versioning
>
> I'm still working representations today, but I've been thinking more
> about the guidance that we should provide in Core spec to help
> workgroups specify "future proof" resources.
>
> The rule
>
>    * A new version of an OSLC specification is not allowed to
> introduce changes that will break old clients.
>
> The guidelines
>
> For OSLC workgroups, these are some guidelines to help you live with
> the above rule and specify OSLC resources that are as future-proof as
> possible.
>
>    1) Think you need a property but cannot agree on the value-type?
> This is a strong indication that you should not attempt to standardize
> on the property. Once decide on a value-type you are stuck with it
> forever. Wait until you have the scenarios or implementation
> experience needed to agree upon a value-type.

I would argue that there is value in a domain spec defining the meaning of
a property, without agreeing on its type.  Dublin Core does this, it
doesn't define any value-types for its properties.
Though, walking through an example: if a provider defines priority
property to be the value-type to be a String and in later OSLC-CM spec we
define it to be a resource say PropertyChoices, the client would have to
be smart enough to adopt to the new shape definition.  It could know this
as the associated oslc:instanceShape would have changed, as well as the
resource's etag/dc:modified.

Perhaps if the resource shape, or domain definition of the resource, could
clearly define these type of properties as having an *open* definition for
value-type then a client could predictably handle such cases.

[SNIP]