[oslc-core] Should RDF/XML be MUST?

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue May 11 16:50:08 EDT 2010

Dave and Team,

RDF experts will tell you Turtle is a much better RDF format that RDF/XML
and they are correct. However, the role of RDF at OSLC is primarily as a
data model that we keep in the background. We want OSLC services to be
implemented in a wide variety of technologies and therefore OSLC should
not require the use of any RDF-specific implementation technologies.

Similarly, a Web UI expert will tell you JSON is a much format for
resources than XML and they are correct since browsers have built-in
JavaScript parsers. However, OSLC services are not just for driving Web
UIs.

Most application developers will tell you that XML is fine as a resource
format because virtually all programming languages have XML parsers. We
have therefore provided guidelines for formatting RDF/XML so that it looks
more or less like vanilla XML.

A main goal of OSLC is collaboration between disparate tools. We can take
a big step in that direction by nailing down at least one resource format
that everyone agrees to implements.  The only viable candidate is RDF/XML.

My vote is therefore to keep the status quo, i.e. all OSLC services MUST
support at least RDF/XML. This reduces implementation expense and promotes
interoperability.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube