[oslc-core] Should RDF/XML be MUST?

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Tue May 11 15:37:12 EDT 2010

Hi Dave,

I think that there should be at least one REQUIRED RDF serialization that
is common to all OSLC specs.  We want there to be at least one
representation that consumers can rely upon.  Each time we weaken the
provider's obligations we ask more of consumers and i think this will a
hurdle to adoption.  Having more than one REQUIRED representation is fine
if it can be done with low (constant) additional cost.  Ideally, an OSLC
SDK would offer the REQUIRED serializations.

There are issues with RDF/XML but there are advantages too.  I don't see
that other representations are significantly "better" (perhaps with the
exception of Turtle). Also, RDF/XML is one of the recommended Foundation
resource representations and is currently centre stage there.  From a
Rational perspective we have invested in RDF/XML.

We mandate it in our specs. because we think it is best for the OSLC
initiative.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational