[oslc-core] New issues on query, shape, etc.

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Tue May 11 10:47:23 EDT 2010

> I do not think we should remove these query parameters from the Query
> Syntax spec since there are good use cases and precedents for them.
Recall
> that ALL of the query parameters are optional. A domain spec says which
> query parameters it supports. The Query Syntax spec defines the query
> parameter syntax, semantics, how they relate to the other query
> parameters, and the default behavior when a given query parameter is
> absent. Since the Query Syntax spec is being moved out of the Core and
put
> on a longer convergence schedule, we should allow implementers to provide

> feedback on ALL the query parameters and then alter the Query Syntax spec

> according to their feedback.
>
> Regards,

> Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Arthur - agreed, we should discuss this, perhaps in the core workgroup call
this week. Dave, can we fit this into the agenda? My sense of where we are
is close but a bit different than what is reflected in this thread. We have
not moved Query out of the core and put it on a longer convergence
schedule. We have (1) reorganized the core spec pages on the wiki to make
the spec more readable and manageable, (2) recognized that many elements of
the query part of the spec are proven out, reflective of a tidied up and
improved V1 query specs, and have near term (2010) community plans for
implementation, and (3) recognized that some newer elements in the query
part of the spec would benefit from a longer term convergence process as
mentioned. So, independent of what organization we have on the wiki pages,
I think what we need to do is make it clear which elements of the query are
"ready for prime time" and intend to be adopted in the current iterations
of the domain specs, and which elements remain as a forward looking view of
query subject to convergence feedback. Look forward to discussing this on
the core call.

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)