[oslc-core] Should RDF/XML be MUST?

Dave snoopdave at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:18:12 EDT 2010

Sorry to raise this old issue again, but I've been getting some new
feedback that the Core spec should not be so prescriptive (or is it
proscriptive) about RDF/XML representation. I captured this feedback
in a new issue on the issues page:

OPEN Consensus among RDF experts seems to be that RDF/XML is not the
best representation for RDF, so why do we mandate it as a MUST in the
Core spec. In reality, most OSLC workgroups will probably make RDF/XML
a MUST, but perhaps we should leave that up to them. Here are two
alternatives: (DaveJohnson, 05/11/2010)
      * Option #1 - say this: OSLC services SHOULD provide RDF/XML
representations for all resources and MAY provide Turtle, JSON or Atom
representations.
      * Option #2 - say this: OSLC services SHOULD provide an RDF
serialization, either RDF/XML or Turtle, and MAY provide JSON or Atom
representations.
      * *Response* pending... (DaveJohnson 05/11/2010)

As always, feedback, comments, etc. are most welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prescriptive
"that prescribes; giving directions or injunctions"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proscriptive
"outlawry, interdiction, or prohibition"