[oslc-core] New issues on query, shape, etc.

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Tue May 11 08:30:02 EDT 2010

Dave,

I'd like to discuss this issue:

   OPEN Query simplifications. The new query parameters that we have
added into the OSLC Query Syntax and useful and well thought out, but
they go well beyond what we have in the v1 specifications. We can ease
OSLC Core spec adoption and migration by simplifying the query syntax
and removing the oslc.from, oslc.offset, oslc.limit and
oslc.properties -- oslc.properties should be moved out of the Query
Syntax and back into the OSLC Defined Resources section. (DaveJohnson,
05/10/2010)
      * *Response* Response pending... (DaveJohnson 05/10/2010)

I do not think we should remove these query parameters from the Query
Syntax spec since there are good use cases and precedents for them. Recall
that ALL of the query parameters are optional. A domain spec says which
query parameters it supports. The Query Syntax spec defines the query
parameter syntax, semantics, how they relate to the other query
parameters, and the default behavior when a given query parameter is
absent. Since the Query Syntax spec is being moved out of the Core and put
on a longer convergence schedule, we should allow implementers to provide
feedback on ALL the query parameters and then alter the Query Syntax spec
according to their feedback.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube