[oslc-core] Fw: Comments on OSLCCoreSpecDRAFT (resend)

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 29 14:52:58 EDT 2010

Steve Speicher wrote on 03/15/2010 09:06:14 AM:

> 21) It would be good to clarify the usage of HTTP status codes:
> success or error code handling: when 400 vs 404 vs 409.  This were
> useful in the definition of CM 1.0 spec.
>
> 22) Resource modifications and etag handling, it would be good to
> clarify usage of etag, 412 status codes and If-Match header:
> See
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmRestApiV1#Update_a_change_request

I'd like to clarify this, I'd propose this approach to using these error
updating properties.

We specifically tried to clarify these types categories of errors:

1) 400 Bad Request - This response can be returned when any of the
parameters are not properly structured. Some conditions when this can
happen is:
    * malformed query parameters
    * malformed content (malformed XML)

2) 409 Conflict - This response can be returned for any number of
conditions:
    * Request content specifies a property that
          o the resource doesn't support
          o has an invalid value

3) 412 Precondition Failed The ETag supplied in the If-Match request
header value did not match that of the resource being modified.